Thursday, December 23, 2010

Researching Egypt


It has taken me a while to get this post in. I’ve been visiting my children and grandchildren who live in Utah, and life has been like a whirlwind. So to bring everyone up to date, the last week before we left for break, students (in periods 2, 4, and 7) spent three days in the library researching for their persuasive essays. In seventh grade they will be required to produce an essay on demand as part of state testing. It takes a lot of time, effort and practice to be prepared for that test, so we begin preparing in 6th grade. I am really proud of the way the children focused in the library to get the information needed to support their writing.
When we come back from winter break, we will continue to work on our essays.  The first week back we will focus on how to write the different parts of an essay: the introductory paragraph, the body or supporting paragraphs, and the conclusion of the essay. These rough drafts will be due Jan. 7th. Then students will have access to the laptops the second week of January so that they can type up their papers and bibliographies. Their final persuasive paper will be due Jan. 13th. I do provide a lot of time in class to work on their papers, but as always, if students cannot complete their papers in class, then they need to work on them at home.
Below are some pictures of students in the library. They really do like me to post their pictures. Once when the Red Block was researching in the library I forgot to bring my camera. I mentioned to a couple of the girls that I guess I wouldn’t have pictures of their group. TD looked up at me and said, “Go get your camera, I’ll hold down the fort!” So I quickly ran back to class, got my camera, and took their pictures.























 

No comments:

Post a Comment